If you're like most of us, you are very busy. By the end of the day, you do not have the energy or interest to clean or decorate your palace. All you want is to go home, eat and crash. Living in an environment like that suppresses your essence and zaps your energy. On the other hand, an environment that expresses your personal style is calming, inspirational and will bring you a sense of pride. You may be surprised to learn that most people know what they like but do not know their own personal style.
Research, Research, Research!
One of my favor organizing and decorating tools is Use What You Have Decorating by Lauri Ward. In this book are demonstrations for room layouts, focal points, using artwork and lighting effectively and much more. http://www.redecorate.com/blog
And something as simple as properly organizing your home can bring you joy every time you enter a room. When you open your door your spirit is lifted and you suddenly feel calm.
Tips for De-Clutting Your Personal Space:
- Start small. Small steps done consistently will eventually reap big rewards.
- Clarify your goals. Think about your plans for each room in terms of how you need it to function, and then make the space fit those goals.
- Stop clutter at the source. Shop mindfully. Ask yourself, “Will this purchase enhance my life and also help me achieve my goals in terms of my space?”
- Have realistic expectations. Don't try to recreate the perfection you see in design books if you have three kids under the age of five. Your home should be as organized as you need it to be in order to live without a lot of stress.
- Control paper. It's the No. 1 source of clutter and anxiety in terms of organizing the home, so create a system that handles paper daily so that it doesn't overwhelm you and become clutter.
Challenge: Make yourself Happee. Don’t delay -- start today. Take your time and get it right. Soon you will notice a feeling of accomplishment. This will be your sign that your home reflects your personal style.