.

.
This page is dedicated to Dorothy Dandridge - An American Beauty

Let's Keep In Touch


When was the last time you called a friend from your past?
When was the last time you called a distant relative to say hello and catch up on family affairs?
Are you open to reaching out to mentor the young adults in your family, community and workplace?

Most people can answer these questions quickly and with positive answers. However, there are a few us that don't feel comfortable with any of these questions. I can admit, I don't reach out to people that have shaped my life...old friends, elderly family members living in a different state or immediate family members that drive me nuts. I sometimes blow off the young adults in my office so I can stay focused on my projects. I immediately assume they want to chat about their party over the weekend or something silly. There is no excuse for this behavior. I will commit to making a positive change right now. Will you join me?

Two learning opportunities happened last week. I recently visited my hometown, where my immediate family still lives. During the visit, I tried to lay around my mother's comfortable home, relax and do absolutely nothing. My mother had different plans for me. She dragged me kicking and screaming ( pretty much like a three year old ) to visit two people that I really just did not have any interest in visiting. She persuaded me with the promise that the visits would only last fifteen minutes each. Since I am obsessed with spending time with my mother to build memories, I agreed to the visits. Now looking back at the experience, I will label this behavior self severing. Both visits lifted my spirit and made me examine my life and future.
Five Steps To Get Us Started On This Journey:
  1.  Leaping out of your comfort zone always teaches lessons. I pledge to do more activities with new and long lasting friends. This will assist with my personal growth and expand my social circle.
  2. Open your mind to new possibilities. This may not be easy but a sign that you are on the right path. I pledge to think of new creative ways to spend my free time.
  3. Mark your calendar to visit one person a month. Elderly family members and friends can provide wisdom and interesting history lessons. I pledge to branch out immediately.
  4. Mail a hand written thank you note to one person a month. I pledge to mail a thank you letter/note to someone for their time, advice and etc.
  5. Do one good deed for a stranger without expecting anything in return. Bonus: Don't let the person know about the deed. This practice will build up your tolerance for building new relationships. You will provide a since of appreciation and brighten someones day. I pledge to start this week.
Keep up the the momentum. You may be a brilliant example to someone else.
Please leave a comment. Your thoughts are appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice blog with a higher moral than you find usually! It is so refreshing to find someone who cares about good manners and some etiquette! Also the hand written note is almost becoming extinct with this era of text messages only.
    Communication has improved but NOT really...

    Thanks for doing this!

    Greetings from the heart of Georgia/USA

    MariettesBacktoBasics

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment...it is appreicated! Please visit the bolg for monthly updates.

Monthly Goal Challenge

Monthly Goal Challenge
Challenge yourself each month to learn something new about yourself.

Make One Simple Goal A Day

Its February 2015 and most people have set goals or resolutions for the New Year. FACT: only 8% of the population complete their New Year goals. I found a website that will assist with goal setting, tracking, measuring and achieving your goals.

One Simple Goal is a website designed to change the way people view and achieve goals. The concept is to set one attainable goal a day. Get started today!

Visit http://www.onesimplegoal.com/ to learn more.



Star Sighting: Dororthy Dandridge

Star Sighting: Dororthy Dandridge
Beautiful Dorothy Dandridge with a group of Beauty Queens in the 1940s. Photo: Clyde Woods